Monday, July 16, 2012

Only Takes a Moment

Anoint yourself in the moment. The presence of our Lady and Lord is there for the basking. All it takes is a moment of pausing and turning the mind towards their luminescence.

This morning my alarm for work did not go off and if not for my wife waking me, I am sure I would not have risen until long after it was time to be there. Sadly this meant my entire morning routine was shot. Whereas I thought I would have a little over an hour to get ready and out the door, I ended up with little more than enough time to dress and rush out. It is a rare thing for me to miss my morning devotionals but little choice was had.

My morning practice is simple: moment of meditation, ground, center, shield, my dailies, offering of incense and oil to my Lady and Lord, and a few prayers. Sometimes I’ll add something else in if I feel the need. None of it is required to be a spiritual person or to have a well developed relationship to a Deity. In fact most of it is not about that at all.

A portion of my routine revolves around the development of mental discipline. After all, so much of magickal practice is made easier because of such. The majority, however, is about spiritual and energetic maintenance and hygiene. Running out the house without doing them, when they have been consistently done for a very long time, is like not brushing one’s teeth.

I don’t like missing making my morning offerings and prayers. Time for Gods and Goddesses works a bit different. If you work with one (or more), you know what I am talking about. Having developed a consistent routine, a patterned cycle, on when I make my offering and prayers makes my presence expected within that cycle. It becomes a part of the natural cycle; night comes after day, summer after spring, and when I rise in the morning I greet my Goddess and God. A lot of the time I feel their presence already in attendance in the Temple but not always.

Let it not be said that I have to make these offerings and prayers, or that they are demanded of me; not at all. Not being there though makes me feel out of sorts. I know it is because my own cycle and routine has been disrupted. I know that my Lady and Lord are understanding of this. This intellectual knowledge does not alleviate the emotional response to not seeing expected familiar faces, it’s is like getting up in the morning and the house being empty when guests were expected to be down stairs.

Having forged a bond between myself and my Lady and Lord, I can easily feel their presence in any moment in which I desire to turn my focus towards them. They are there. This is most certainly how I greeted them this morning, while the sun was beginning to crest above the tree tops. It was a splendid moment of mutual greeting and unity. It is no substitute for my routine; I miss the ritual and formality of it. It is an important one though, being able to greet them in any moment and fill the vessel of my being with their presence. In the end, I think I prefer having my cake and eating it too.

I think the important thing to remember with all of this, is that reaching across the bond does not require ritual but only the willingness to glance, and to never be in too much of a hurry to do just that.

What kind of daily routine do you have with your Gods? And how do you feel when you miss it?

Boidh se!

-Spanish Moss

"Lost in a thicket bare-footed upon a thorned path."

No comments: