Thursday, April 9, 2015

Mystery Cult Shenanigans

One of the self-imposed titles that Traditionalists refer to their community by is the “Hidden Children.” There are lots of reasons for this just as there is lots of meaning behind this label. Some of these are implicit and some implied. Today though it is one particular quality described here that is ringing in my mind.

I am a Witch, I am an Initiate, I am Priest, I am a Traditionalist, and a whole host of other labels. Many of these I have made mention of and discuss briefly here and there. Today I am one of the Hidden Children. You see my religion, my Craft, my path, and all the labels therefrom all stream through the single quality that exists at the center of a Mystery Cult.

I can’t even say that I can explain it. It is kind of like trying to explain the nature of the mysteries. The Hidden Children in this specific instance are those that stand apart, alone, in a crowded room, not because of some discrimination, elitism, or inherent difference in worth. It is akin to the phrase, “what has been seen cannot be unseen.”

One of the first things I do when I move to a new place is find the Hidden Children. They are my tribe, my people. After all, one cannot be a Priest alone. Funny thing that, we are hidden, but a group that is hidden together. I like to think of it as a bunch of kids that have made a super fun area secreted away from the adults in the middle of a corn field somewhere. We get to play all the best Witchcraft games with only ourselves to supervise.

So why is this aspect of the Hidden Children title poking me in the arm so much today? It is simple really, it has been a couple of weeks since I have played with others and I think it is time for some Mystery Cult shenanigans.

Boidh Se!

-SM

“Lost in a thicket bare-foot upon a thorned path.”

No comments: