Thursday, January 3, 2013

When Did I Get On a Horse?

I’ve been told that I am stubborn. They are probably right, after all my family is all stubborn. In fact, part of the rhetoric of my extended family’s culture is that we are all too stubborn to die. It is an expression that relates to the fact that we all tend to live into our 90s and additionally points to our stubbornness as a reason as to why. Needless to say that this stubbornness aided my ancestors in a world of hardship; knowing a bit about them and the lands unto which they have homesteaded I am fond of this theory. So why the hell am I babbling on about being stubborn? Well… cause on occasion that same stubborn nature comes to a head in my spiritual life. This is especially true when the mind has been set upon a course of action with determination. The crops will grow in this swamp even if I have to force them! Yeah, that kind of stubborn the-path-is-set kind of approach.

For the past year, our Lady and our Lord have been prodding me, “Hey! Here’s a great idea.” As I tend to do from time to time I just didn’t. Why? Lots of reasons but mostly because my mind was made up and the path was set,  which hasn’t been a big deal because the gentle nudge has only felt like a suggestion. However; something changed over the course of the holiday season. I’m not sure exactly what, but I can only say that the word ‘volun-told’ comes to mind. The universe has conspired and I am along for the ride. At no point have I given in, but it doesn’t seem to matter. This is just how things are. Without meaning to my I-will-not has converged and become the same as the here’s-an-idea.

I would say I am surprised but I am not. The life of a Witch, Priest, and Devotee is paved not only with shaping the world around us but by being shaped ourselves. It’s a familiar place to be. Now to see where exactly this horse I have found myself on is headed.

Boidh Se!

-Spanish Moss

“Lost in a thicket bare-foot upon a thorned path.”

No comments: