Monday, March 20, 2017

The Nomad's Life



My life just transformed itself. It was not unexpected but it is major. As I have mentioned on occasion in this blog, I move every three years or so. Well, my time in New Orleans came to an end at the beginning of the month. I learned a lot while there, made many great friends, and my Craft grew by leaps. I am glad for the transfer though as the long hours that my previous position at work required was full of stress—tons.

As I type this, I am sitting on my air mattress awaiting the delivery of my household via the moving company in two days’ time. For the first time in my life, I am on the West Coast of the U.S. and have found myself in a place I don’t know. It can be quite transgressive learning about new areas and
temporarily putting down roots. I’m a nomad by occupation and though I am sure I will love my time here, I know that there will be an end.

There is much to do in the coming weeks. There is a new Temple Room to establish, consecrate, and bless. There are altars to unpack, spirit allies to welcome into their new homes, and a landscape to learn. The land here is not the South Eastern forest I have known my entire life. The flora and fauna are alien.

I went running yesterday and didn’t know the names of almost all of the plants, no birds, and even saw a lizard that I can’t identify. As a Witch, I have my work cut out for me. Also I need to meet the genii loci of the area, ancestors, patrons, and much more. I need to learn of the local indigenous peoples. I need to stir the landscape and fold it into the vocabulary of my Arte. Finally, but hopefully not last, I need to find Her Hidden Children. I know they are here and have already made electronic acquaintances, but that isn’t the same as standing in the circle with them.

It is a whole lot to consider. I’ve decided to take a middle road approach. I’ll make a list of what needs to be done but approach it with whims and let spirit lead when to mark off an item. Mostly though, I sit and once again have the blank potential of a new place before with which to create my life for the next few years.

I can't forget, and hopefully this post reminds you, that the potential for transformation lay in each moment and that one does not need to move across the country to make change.


Boidh Se!

-SM

“Lost in a thicket, bare-foot upon a thorn path.”

No comments: