Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Satan and His Big Ole Box

So recently I read a blog post written by a Gardnerian High Priestess out of NC titled “I Worship Satan and You Do, Too.” Did your Witchy senses just knee jerk too? I know mine did when I first saw the title. After all, it is and has been a basic mantra of the Craft that “We don’t believe in Satan.” Then I went and read it and ground up what was said so I could apply some critical analysis flying oinkment under the pointy hat (smirk). Cause critical thinking is an important life and Craft skill, but y’all knew that. Now go read said blog before continuing on if you want relevance.

I have to say the perspective given is not one I am familiar with, just not my accustomed to paradigm and whatnot. The whole only two boxes thing is just alien. The part that I have been mulling over is the obvious ineffectiveness that our rhetoric has not only had but the reason for it. Simply put, it doesn’t work because those with who would argue with us decrying us as Satanists see the substance of the mantra as irrelevant to what they are saying.

I found this amusing.
I won't lie, I spent a few minutes trying to come up a good and effective point to make. But I don’t think I am going to bother trying further. If someone truly needs to be educated then I will engage but I am not going to get into a conversation where either party assumes the wrongness of the other or I need to disprove our supposed wrongness. It is against my understanding of the Craft, as I talked about here, to decry someone’s beliefs, but that does not mean I have to entertain them either. This is not an either or kinda situation. I think instead I’m just gonna wish them a blessed day and go about practicing Witchcraft, worshiping my Gods and Goddesses, and otherwise being awesome (after all, Witches are awesome) regardless of whether anyone thinks I am sitting in Satan’s big ole box of damn near everything.

Boidh Se!

-SM

“Lost in a thicket bare-foot upon a thorned path.”

No comments: